In 1856, the 2nd Preston Baptist Church was established
which in 1879, the congregation reorganized at the New Road settlement, now called North Preston, under the leadership of Rev. James Thomas, and became known as St. Thomas United Baptist Church. Rev. Thomas, a Welshman by birth, took over the legacy of Rev. Preston. Richard Preston would go on to form the African Baptist Association which served as sort of “Black’ Maritime Baptist Convention. When established the number of original members was 33. Today, Saint Thomas Baptist Church has a total of 964 members.
Today, Saint Thomas Baptist Church has a total of 964 members
. Due to the growth of the membership, the church has been physical expanded several times. In 1972, an addition was constructed to be used as a Christian Education Centre. In 2005, extensive renovations were made to compensate for a capacity of 1000 in total. Under the present leadership of Rev. Wallace Smith Sr., our Senior Pastor, Saint Thomas Baptist Church has grown immensely, with an increasing membership, and is striving in the various ministries such as a growing Sunday School, our Evangelism Committee, Healing School/Women of Faith Prayer Warriors, Saint Thomas Brotherhood, B.Y.F., Ladies Auxiliary, Women’s Missionary Society, Silent Worship Ministry and 5 Choirs who minister in music, namely; Senior Choir, Hallelujah Praise Choir, Community Gospel Choir, Junior Choir and the Saint Thomas Mass Choir plus our two Praise and Worship Teams.